List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: KDE2 on Solaris
From:       James Tappin <sjt () star ! sr ! bham ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-10-31 9:32:49

On Monday 30 October 2000 17:19, Robert Rati wrote:
> That works, but KDE2 still won't come up.  The background greys, the
> splash screen comes up, and the hints screen even pops up, but that's
> it.  It appears to be trying to play the login wav and can't.  That
> is the last thing that appears to happen.  The panel doesn't come up
> nor does the window manager.  I end up having to kill the X session
> because I can't do anything but look at a grey background and move
> the mouse. Any ideas?  When I go to kill the xsession, it appears
> that something has cored (is defunct).  I've tried removing knotify
> from the startup, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.  Also,
> know any way to get the sound working under Solaris?  Thanks.

At present artsd doesn't work on Solaris. If you try to start it from
the command line you will see an error about the system not being
supported. I built it without arts at all and it seems to be OK here. I
think that if you don't build and install any sound stuff you may be be
able to run successfully.

James

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |