List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.0 rpm install: ask Christopher Molnar?
From:       paul.c.leopardi () ac ! com
Date:       2000-10-26 22:41:07

Vadim,

I found the README where it should be, with the RPMs at
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/2.0/distribution/rpm/Mandrake

It is the README which says: "For questions: molnarc@mandrakesoft.com"

If Christopher Molnar is too busy to answer questions about the packaging,
maybe he could have provided an alternative contact at mandrakesoft.com ?

KSSH 0.2 - KDE Secure Shell Frontend: I use all the time

http://www.geocities.com/bilibao/kssh.html

kwintv is a TV application for the K Desktop Environment (KDE) based on the
Video4Linux interface.

http://www.mathematik.uni-kl.de/~wenk/kwintv/download.html

These were also available from the SuSE 7.0 CD ROMs and the SuSE Linux KDE
Service at http://www.suse.com/us/support/download/LinuKS/index.html but I
can't find them there right now.

"I'm working on some install doco for SuSE"
Let me clarify, I don't work for SuSE. I am running SuSE on one PC at home
while working full time and attending university part time.

Hope this answers all your questions.

                                                                                      \

            Vadim Plessky                                                             \

            <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>                     To:     KDE User List \
                <kde-user@lists.netcentral.net>
            Sent by:                                   cc:                            \

            kde-user-request@lists.netcentral.n        Subject:     Re: KDE 2.0 rpm \
                install: ask Christopher
            et                                         Molnar?                        \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

            27/10/00 01:37 AM                                                         \

            Please respond to kde-user                                                \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

On Thursday 26 October 2000 11:35 am, paul.c.leopardi@ac.com wrote:
> I would ask ask Christopher Molnar ( molnarc@mandrakesoft.com ) as it
says
> in the README.

Chris is very busy at a moment, don't overload him. See answers below, do
not
hesitate to contact me on list or in private mail.

> The README for Mandrake is very skimpy indeed. It says:
Yes, indeed. I am wondering where you found these instructions?
I visited Mandrake site this night, it has a lot of info, but there was no
KDE2-specific corner on it.

> These packages have been built to run on the Mandrake 7.2
> beta distribution. They will run on other distributions as well but
> you will need to udpate:
>
> menu
> Mandrake_Desk
> OpenSSL
> qt2
> pam
>
> and probably a few others.

ALSA for sound.
modutils, initscripts

> This will replace your kde1.
Yes, that's correct.
> ------------------------------------
> In particular, it doesn't say where to find these other packages and it
> doesn't give any post-installation instructions.
GO here:

Mandrake binary RPMS
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/

Mandrake Cooker
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/cooker/Mandrake/RPMS/

or at RPMFIND.NET

> Also, there seems to be a major difference between the SuSE and Mandrake
> RPMs. SuSE will install kde2 into /opt/kde2 and leave kde in /opt/kde.
The
> README for Mandrake says it will replace kde1. In other words, once your
> install on Mandrake has completed successfully, you will have a
different
> KDE 2.0 from me, because you will no longer have the old KDE.
>
> The README does not explain how much of the old KDE will be removed.
Will
> it remove the old QT libraries? If so, how do old KDE programs such as
> kssh and kwintv run?

All old KDE1 will be removed.
Not sure that kssh and kwintv will run. By the way, what they are?

> On a similar note, I reported bug 10102 which says that the
documentation
> for installing from RPM needs to be more detailed, up to date and
> accurate. See http://bugs.kde.org/db/10/10102.html

Well, IMHO, KDE2 is still far away from being perfect...
But who is perfect?
Users usally get Win 98 pre-installed, normal user will not complete Win98
install on empty box. Just idea of collecting drivers from different sites
can be very frustarting for many people...

> I'm working on some install doco for SuSE, which I posted at:
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-user&m=97252594523461&w=2

It's nice.
Can you send me info very you usally get RPMs for SuSE?
(like addresses I send in my e-mail for Mandrake) I'd like to put this on
my
web site, as it is now too Mandrake-specific.

> I did not excatly follow the installation instructions given at
> http://www.kde.org/install-binaries.html or the post-installation
> instructions in http://www.kde.org/kde1-and-kde2.html and
> http://www.kde.org/documentation/faq/kdefaq.html because I believe these
> are out of date and are not entirely correct for KDE 2.0 on SuSE 7.0.
These are old, for sure.

> Christopher Molnar also wrote http://www.kde.org/install-binaries.html -
> asked him to take it down or update it.

Mandrake 7.2 is very close to release. Probably, Chris is working on final
touches to KDE2, let's wish him some luck! :-)

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)