List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Upcoming KDE2 Release
From:       paul.c.leopardi () ac ! com
Date:       2000-10-04 22:38:22

Lee,
Thanks for your support, but I haven't really gotten anywhere.

Sure, I've put in a bug, but I don't see it being addressed any time soon.
My understanding is that the install process and specific documentation is
the reponsibility of the packagers for each distribution (Red Hat, SuSE,
Debian, etc.), but the release documentation which says where to find the
RPMs is the responsibility of the Webmaster for http://www.kde.org
This is why my bug has been re-classified as WWW. It has not been dealt
with for 27 days and may never be addressed. See
http://bugs.kde.org//db/pa/lwww.html

This shows up what is both a strength and weakness of open source software.
It is essentially DIY. You can't easily influence the direction of a
project unless you directly contribute code or documentation, preferably
code.

But as Linux becomes mainstream, there will be more real users, people
willing to pay to have someone else fix problems so they don't always have
to DIY. It seems we are in a transition.

The next step for me is to find other ways to communicate with the
packagers, to get them to see this as a real issue to be addressed. The
SuSE RPMs, for example, go some way to make the install process easy, but
in my opinion they are poorly documented. I'd like to see the SuSE packager
improve the documetation and the KDE Webmaster direct SuSE users to the
SuSE documentation.

                                                                                      \

            lee <lee@imyourhandiman.com>                                              \

            Sent by:                                   To:     KDE User List \
                <kde-user@lists.netcentral.net>
            kde-user-request@lists.netcentral.n        cc:                            \

            et                                         Subject:     Re: Upcoming KDE2 \
                Release
                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

            05/10/00 02:06 AM                                                         \

            Please respond to kde-user                                                \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

paul.c.leopardi@ac.com wrote:

> I put in a bug request about the install procedure for KDE2.0 and its
> documentation, specifically about how the installs for the RPMs and other
> binaries are documented on the KDE web site. In my opinion, it was and
> still is necessary to produce a set of install instructions for each
> specific set of binaries for each distribution which use binaries.
>
> See http://bugs.kde.org//db/10/10102.html

i just read that and BOY HOWDY are you right!!!!!!!!!!!

I am enjoying getting smarter about linux and ingeneral computers and how
they
work with the software  etc.
but i can assure you that as a business man there have been a few times I
could have indeed wished for

1.insert CD
2.update/install
3.have a nice day!!!!!!! :-)

i must admit to enjoying a challenge and my level of expertise is "fairly"
up
to the task of this complicated KDE thing ( why doesn't the kde team have
their act together like gnome-helix? no offense--- is it an issue of
time/resources? ) but yeah the beginner needs something like gnome-helix
has
for theirs..............main reason i use kde is for me at least? gnome is
sluggish when clicking not only on gnome footprint menu AND say starting
file
manager REALLY slow...........never have understood it but I've heard from
some i'm not alone and others say they have NO troubles...........my system
is
state of the art basically  ( PII450/128ram/13.6HD/TNT1-16MB-440BXchipset )
so
that can't be it .......anyway i digress

glad to see someone address this issue!!!!!!!!

thank you

> )))))

lee
--======