List:       kde-user
Subject:    issues with artsd (kde-2.0 beta 5)
From:       "David E. Fox" <dfox () belvdere ! vip ! best ! com>
Date:       2000-09-29 3:52:27

I'm using snapshots built for the most part around beta-5. At any rate, artsd
is starting up nicely enough - I even hear the tune when I start KDE, and
kaiman works, but other apps that use the sound card, such as XMMS, mpg123,
etc, don't work. mpg123, for instance, says "/dev/dsp is busy". In the past,
this was working. Now, I have to kill the artsd driver before I can use those
programs, which of course won't let kaiman and other programs (KDE-specific
ones) use the sound card.

Also, kaiman's sound is much quieter than xmms's. I've played with kmix to
increase the volume, but still it seems much fainter.

I'm using a "mad16 OSS' card using the commercial 4front-tech sound drivers.

David E. Fox                                    Thanks for letting me
dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com                      change magnetic patterns
David.Fox@icp.siemens.com                       on your hard disk.