List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Kmix misses libasound
From:       paul.c.leopardi () ac ! com
Date:       2000-09-20 3:56:01

ALSA version 0.5.9c RPMs are available for SuSE Linux 7.0. See:
http://www.suse.com/en/support/download/updates/70_update.html series snd
and series suse

ALSA version 0.5.8 RPMs are available for SuSE Linux 6.4. See:
 http://www.suse.com/en/support/download/updates/64_update.html series snd
 http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/jsj_alsa_soundmodule.html
 ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse_update/6.4/snd1/

See also http://www.alsa-project.org/

I have downloaded the 3 ALSA RPMs for SuSE Linux 6.4 but have not yet
installed them.
The error message I had on installation of the KDE 1.94 RPMs was:
error: failed dependencies:
     libasound.so.1 is needed by kmulti2-1.94-0

Technically, this unsatisfied dependency in kmulti2 is not a bug, since the
SuSE updates web pages are older than the KDE1.94 RPMs, but for newbies and
naive users, this is not a good way to design the installation process and
documentation. Installation should just work. Period. Accepting anything
less than this means that KDE 2 is not suitable for average real users,
only enthusiaists, hobbyists, computer scientists and other people who
don't mind posting to mailing lists and chasing dependencies.

In bug 10102 at http://bugs.kde.org//db/10/10102.html I have asked for
accurate and up to date installation documentation for each set of
binaries, based on distribution and version. So, for example, there would
be a set of documents which told you exactly how to install the SuSE 7.0
RPMs for KDE1.94, which would list the ALSA 0.5.9c update as a
prerequisite. We could all then test this documentation so that it could be
fine tuned ready for KDE2.0 release.

See also this thread: http://lists.kde.org/?t=96819707500003&w=2&r=1

Best regards

>Hey,
>I`ve just downloaded the Beta5 rpm=B4s for SuSe 7.0.
>Kmix is missing a libasound.so.1 which is neither on
>the SuSe CD nor in any package. Where can I find it ??
>
>Carsten

According to rpmfind.net, the RPM you need is alsa-0.5.7-10.i386.rpm  You
can
find it by doing a search at rpmfind.net