List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: More Problems with Beta 4
From:       Jörg Stadermann <jstadermann () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-08-29 18:12:18

On Die, 29 Aug 2000, Marc Hoffman wrote:
> I just got done compiling the main components for KDE Beta 4 (I compiled
> Qt, kdesupport, and kdelibs). But when I boot into KDE after a system
> reboot, I'm still showing that I'm using KDE 1.1.2. What do I need to do to
> start using KDE Beta 4?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Marc R. Hoffman, Editor/Webmaster
> The OS Emulation HomePage
> http://www.kearney.net/~mhoffman
> "Faith must dare to leap, or it's not
> Faith."

Well, first you need to install kdebase as well. Second, you shouldn't
install kde 2 in the same location as kde 1..1..2.   Either you deinstall
your old kde or you install the new one into a seperate directory (e.g.
/opt/kde2).  Then you have to make shure that $KDEDIR and $QTDIR have the
correct values. $KDEDIR is the location of the new kde and $QTDIR is the
location of qt beta 2. $KDEDIR should be in your path. Also, you must have
the new kde  and qt libraries in your ld.so.conf or your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
If thats all ok, you should be able to run kde.

Jorg Stadermann