List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Can't connect to Internet
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () conectiva ! com ! ar>
Date:       2000-07-31 21:04:07

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Alan Rowland wrote:

> Robert,
>
> In a perfect world, you're right.
>
> However, the majority of dial up connections, UUnet, PSI,
> Sprint, Level3, fill-in-the-blank, are shared. That peer
> DNS may not be configured correctly, may not be your ISP's
> and may not be available to "foreign" realms.
>
> You're free to go with the known quality/performance of your
> ISP's servers or roll the dice with peer DNS. :)

What you get through usepeerdns is the exact same DNS server every other
customer gets (read that as "what all windows clients get"). I find it
dubious that any half-awake ISP would provide there a DNS server that
doesn't work, this day and age.

If they did, they are not a ISP worth using, anyway.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@conectiva.com.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director técnico
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul