List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "gray30"
From:       dfox () belvdere ! vip ! best ! com
Date:       2000-07-27 17:32:11

> Every time I launch an application I have a list of this kind of
> message : Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "gray30" (and other

You didn't lose any colors. What is happening is that you are probably
running X at a low number of color bits per pixel (like 8 bpp). The result
is that you have a limited number of colors to choose from (256). What
basically happens is that you launch an application, and it has requests
for various colors which it sends to the server. The server then allocates
the color, or perhaps the closest color it can from the pool. At some point
you end up with more requests for colors than the server can provide --
because, for instance, you launched an xterm with green, and green is
already in use (the colors can't be shared among tasks). At this point,
you'll see an error "can't allocate colormap entry".

The usual fix is rather easy, if you have a video card that can
support higher bits per pixel -- which requires more memory in
the video card, of course (example: 65K colors at a resolution of
1024x768 is nearly 2 megs). You'll have to configure your X server
to include a mode that will go into 16 bpp or 32 bpp, and then startx
with an additional parameter (startx -- -bpp 16, I think). I use
AccelX here, so things are a little bit different (and a little
bit easier, as well).