List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: X includes - compilation error
From:       Kevin Pilch-Bisson <kevin () pilch-bisson ! net>
Date:       2000-06-30 12:11:12

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, john wrote:

> At 16:05 26/06/00 -0700, you wrote:
>

> >Is /usr/lib/qt1g in your ld.conf ?  Do you have a libqt.so and a libqt.so.1
> >?

 ...snip...

I think john meant /etc/ld.so.conf, not ld.conf.  However whether or
not /usr/lib/qt1g is in ld.so.conf would have no effect on compiling the
source.  What it would influence is trying to run the programs.  The Linux
shared library system works by linking at compile time with a .so file
qiven on the command line (i.e. finding where functions are within that
file.)  Then when you run the program ld.so (the dynamic linker), looks
through the directories in /etc/ld.so.conf to try to find a library with
the same name, and same functions in the same places.  So in summary
ld.so.conf influences running programs, not compiling them. (BTW, ld.so
only reads this file on startup, so if you modify it you either need to
reboot ala windows, or run ldconfig as root.)

Anyway, just thought I would clear that up, since you two seem to have
moved more onto the actual files in /usr/lib, as opposed to the ld.conf
issue.
Kevin Pilch-Bisson
kevin@pilch-bisson.net
http://www.pilch-bisson.net