List:       kde-user
Subject:    Kppp
From:       "Glover George" <geg2 () ra ! msstate ! edu>
Date:       2000-06-28 19:30:23

Sorry, but this has probably been said a million times.  On RH6.2 on a clean
install, I can't get kppp to find the passwords to send.  I fill in the
blanks on the connect screen, but I get an error message from pppd that
"..peer is not authorized to use remote address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx".  A quick
vi into /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and it's empty!  And yes I am using pap.
Netcfg will work, but what does it not use /etc/ppp/pap-secrets?

Another thing but it's not that important.  On one number of my isp pppd
will not connect.  It used to on earlier versions of R.H. but not on 6.2.
The error comes up after both the login and password have been sent.  The
error is something like "Invalid autocommand ppp /compress default".  You
can see this error message if you log into the isp with minicom (of course
that's not gonna do ppp any good, but this just shows that the error message
is coming from the isp and not ppp).  However, ppp won't connect when this
happens.  On other numbers at the isp when you hit enter after the password
(through minicom) it says what you'd expect ... PPP session begginning, and
throw up the ppp stuff periodically.  So the question (finally...hehe..) is
does anyone understand what's going on here?  What could my isp be doing
that would cause this, and does it have something to do with the compression
module for ppp?  I am perplexed.  I can simply use the other number (that is
with netcfg, because kppp wont work as I described above) to get on.

Laterz.
dime
geg2@ra.msstate.edu