List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: file permissions
From:       frank <fmurray () email ! com>
Date:       2000-06-12 5:50:54

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Tom Rauschenbach wrote:

> The problem is not that the user has too much power.  The problem is that
> we're making it too easy.  Anybody can go to a hardware store and buy all
> the tools they need to fsck up thei plumbing and flood their basement.  Are
> we saying that True Value has a UI problem ?  I don't think so.

but what do the plumbers say??...two generations ago they bemoaned the
passing of galvanized pipe with all its cutting and threading...last
generation they complained about the coming of plastic pipe and how little
one needed to know to install it...

but the users of plumbing are more interested in having water to flush the
toilet, than in the art and science of pipefitting...as long as the user
interfaces (perhaps a wrong-ended term) function efficiently, they're
content...

the plumbers' objection to such simplification parallels todays objections to
the simplification of linux...those who've invested much effort in learning
the difficulties of a system of doing things find their investment devalued
when "non-professionals" can accomplish the same tasks without that
learning...

frank