List:       kde-user
Subject:    kwrite: copy/paste behavior
From:       Mike Green <linux () saesolved ! com>
Date:       2000-04-14 19:22:55

The copy/paste behavior in kwrite is one with which I'm not comfortable.
Apparently as soon as text is highlighted it is pasted to the clipboard.  The
effect, in any case, is that if I copy a bit of text to the clipboard and then
go to another bit, highlight it and paste with the intent of replacing the
highlighted text with what is on the clipboard it instead gets replaced with
itself.

I find the behavior in nedit and in the editors I use in Windows more
convenient: the text that I had pasted to the clipboard with ctrl-c stays there
until I do either another ctrl-c or ctrl-x.

I had once heard that the way kwrite does it is the standard X-windows way and
that it couldn't be altered.  But since nedit does it differently (and it is
working in X-windows) I wonder if there is not a configuration thingy somewhere
that I could change to get this to work in kwrite (which in some other respects
I prefer to nedit).

TIA!

--
Mike Green