List:       kde-user
Subject:    RE: Modem speed
From:       "Santiago Burbano" <santib () europe ! com>
Date:       2000-03-30 14:34:54

KPPP reports kbits. As you say, modem speeds are always (at least, AFAIK)
measured in kbits. So 56k is a maximum speed of 7 KBytes. After stripping
TCP/IP and HTTP (or FTP, or whatever protocol) headers, an effective
download speed of 4-5 Kbytes is veeeeery good.

Lucky you ;)

My ooooold telephone lines do not support more than 25k connection speed, so
more than half of my modem speed is wasted. I enter d/l frenzy when I get
2-2.2 Kb d/l speed :(

Santi

> Hi..
> Wonder if anyone can verify if the kppp details screen reports the
> download speed in k/bytes or k/bits ?..Modem speeds are quoted
> in k/bits...My download speed never gets above 4>5 and the modem is a
Hayes