List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: rpm and user
From:       John Aldrich <john () chattanooga ! net>
Date:       2000-03-27 14:23:03

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Norman de Groot wrote:
> kde 1.1.2; Linux 2.2.13-7mdk.
>
> If I try to run rpm as a user I get a window that asks for my root password.
> If I provide that the window closes but rpm does not come up.  Is this normal?
>
> How can I install a new application that can be run by a user rather than root?
>  It appears that if I install by logging in as root, I then have to monkey
> around with a bunch of chowns and chmods to get the new app to run as user.
>
> Am I missing something here?

Yes. Do this....open up a console window, SU to root and
then install the new RPM-based app. This is NORMAL
behavior, as this is a multi-user operating system and most
users should not have the ability to install new software
system-wide, which is what happens when you install
something via RPM.
If the new app won't run for you, then something is wrong
and it wasn't designed to be a user-executeable app. If all
else fails make it run SUID or make it owned by a specific
GROUP to which YOU belong, but other users who may not need
access to that app do not belong.
	John