List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: HTML mail client for Linux /KDE
From:       Mike Green <linux () saesolved ! com>
Date:       2000-03-06 3:07:15

Well, since nearly all of the comments on this topic have been in the direction
of "let's keep our email all plain text only," perhaps some idiot like me ;-),
should raise at least one voice of dissent.

I'll start by remarking that I don't routinely intentionally send email in HTML
format because I know that not everyone -- or even the great majority of those
-- I email to can read HTML formatted email.

But it would be good (not bad) if every one could read HTML formatted email:  A
better graphical representation of information communicates information better.
What I have written here is more easily understood as it is written than if I
had written it in binary.  And if I can use indents, bulleted lists, images,
etc., I can have the ability to better communicate information than with plain
text.

And just because something good can be put to bad use (worse spam, security
risks) is a poor reason for rejecting it.  We would not be using fire or the
wheel if either were rejected on those grounds.  In fact it is probably true
that the greater the potential for good a particular thing has, the greater its
potential for bad.

So there's my 2 cents worth of philosophy (you may have a less refined term for
it) on the topic ;-)

I (and I suspect thousands of others) are in the cheering section for the good
folk on the KDE team who are working hard to improve the users' ability's to
interact visually with their computer and with others via their computers,
whether that is by using better means for formatting email or better GUIs for
the desktop.

Cheers!

Mike Green