List:       kde-user
Subject:    RE: Graphical Login
From:       "Santiago Burbano" <santib () mtservicios ! com>
Date:       2000-01-21 16:50:54

> FreeBSD doesn't have runlevels actually.  I had no success setting up KDE
on
> FreeBSD as far as graphical login.  Search Usenet thou, I found
destructions on
> it before.

AFAIK, runlevels have nothing to do with graphical vs. text logins. It is
just a convenient way to setup different startup configurations. If you
don't have runlevels you will have only one configuration, but you can still
start any service at boot time. Check your init scripts to find where your
system loads services (like apache, biff, cron, at, ...). You will have to
start your X server (check manpages for options) and then run kdm.

In case it is useful, Linux uses /etc/init.d and /etc/rcX.d (X = runlevel)
to store those scripts. Your system shouldn't be too different, although the
latter is probable useless for you, since you don't have runlevels.

Santiago