List:       kde-user
Subject:    RE: other list (newbie: linux-mandrake)
From:       "Santiago Burbano" <santib () mtservicios ! com>
Date:       1999-12-07 17:23:29

Hi,

[I won't quote anything from this thread. Bandwith is expensive here in
Europe :(]

I won't add anything to this RedHat vs. 'rest of the world' war, it's quite
useless. But I have to add a couple of comments to the FHS discussion:

1) FHS is a distribution-dependent 'standard'. It's up to the distribution
to decide what goes in the CD (thus, what goes under /usr), and what doesn't
(and has to be installed by the sysadm under /usr/local). IMHO, this makes
FHS useless. A standard has to be just that: a STANDARD. If I have no way of
knowing if kde is under /usr, /opt, /usr/local, /usr/local/kde, or whatever,
I don't give a sh** about standards. If RedHat wants to follow FHS, it's OK
for me; but it won't make it any better.

2) FHS is a sysadm-dependent 'standard'. Say I have a distro that comes with
KDE 1.1.1. If I decide to install this version, it will go under /usr. But
if I want to have 1.1.2, it will go under /usr/local. [quote last three
lines of previous paragraph]

3) Independently of where KDE is, or should be there is the fact that there
HAS to be an easy way of upgrading/deleting installed packages. And putting
everything directly under /usr (or /opt, for what is worth). We all know
(and suffer) this infamous C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory with megs and megs of
useless DLLs that are there just because some uninstaller didn't work (or
wasn't even supplied). I agree that there is no use in having a directory
for every package. There are some common apps that are always there: ps, df,
du, vi, ... Having all of them in one directory avoids having a 20 line long
$PATH variable. But, KDE (and many other apps, like GNOME, StarOffice, ...)
are not common to all systems. It's up to the sysadm to decide whether to
install them or not. And they should be in a place where they are easy to
upgrade/delete.

I run Linux Debian at home and everything that is not a Linux standard is
under /usr/local/<package>. So, 'netscape' is under /usr/local/netscape, KDE
is under '/usr/local/kde' and StarOffice will be under '/usr/local/so51'.
And, IMHO, that's the way it should be...

Just my .02$ worth

Santiago