List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.0 and kdelibs/dcop
From:       Thomas Schachner <Thomas.Schachner () awd ! at>
Date:       1999-11-29 13:23:40

Trond Kristiansen wrote:

> Hi again
>
> I have the latest snapshot(25.11.1999) of qt, kde (all) and mico-2.3.0.
> Qt-2.1.0-snapshot-199.11.25, (include -zlib and libpng), mico and kdesupport
> comile without any trouble.

> When I try to compile kdelibs/dcop I get a lot of "undefind reference"
> messages.

For the following you have to be root.

Have you checked the /etc/ld.so.conf file.( This file have entries where
all shared libraries are installed )
for example if you have installed qt in /usr/lib/qt
then the ld.so.conf file should have this entry in one of the lines

/usr/lib/qt/lib

and for the kdelibs there should be a entry ( if you have installed kde
in /opt/kde )

/opt/kde/lib

INFO -> The shared library cache is built from the information given in
the ld.so.conf file, that means that
if you have libraries in a directory which isn't registered in the
ld.so.conf file than the system cannot find
it and therefore if you link some program with this library there are a
lot of undefined references which the linker
isn't able to resolve.
Another way of producing undefined references is, if you compile the
libraries with another compiler as the program, or
you use libraries from an rpm package which are compiled with a
different compiler.

INFO-> if you add something to the ld.so.conf file than you have to
rebuild the cache!
This can be done with the following command

ldconfig

if you want to see whats the ldconfig program do then take the command
line option -v ( verbose mode )
than you can see whats going on.( For more information look at the
manpages type -> man ldconfig )

ldconfig -v

So the library cache is rebuilt from the information given in the
ld.so.conf file.

You also have to check the enviroments settings for KDE und QTDIR

type the following on the command line

if you use bash:

env | grep KDE

and

env | grep QTDIR

So happy hacking and don't get confused, you will learn a lot of your
linux system -> more than on windows!!