List:       kde-user
Subject:    Problems configuring kdebase
From:       "Nathaniel Talbott" <ntalbott () rolemodelsoft ! com>
Date:       1999-11-19 1:57:38

I'm trying to compile and install kde (version 1.1.2), and I'm running into
some weird problems.

General system info:
	kernel version - 2.2.13
	library version - 2.1.2
	gcc version - 2.95.1
	binutils - 2.9.1

Qt compiled and installed fine, as did kdesupport. kdelibs appears to
compile OK, but when I run 'make check' on it, I get the following error:

	Making check in kdetest
	make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kde/kdelibs-1.1.2/kdetest'
	make  kconfigtest kledlamptest kprogresstest kcolordlgtest kdatepicktest
		kfontdialogtest kmsgboxtest kpopuptest ktabctltest ktreelisttest
		kseparatortest kiconloadertest kwindowtest klinetest kstatusbartest
		kspinboxtest kprocesstest kpannertest kbuttonboxtest ksimpleconfigtest
		kcharsetstest kledtest kcontainertest klocaletest krulertest knotebooktest
		kwizardtest kquickhelptest kurltest
	make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kde/kdelibs-1.1.2/kdetest'
	g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../kdeui -I../kdecore
		-I/usr/local/qt/include -I/usr/X11R6/include    -O2 -Wall -c
kconfigtest.cpp
	kconfigtest.cpp: In function `int main(int, char **)':
	kconfigtest.cpp:361: passing `const char *' as argument 1 of `free(void *)'
discards qualifiers
	make[2]: *** [kconfigtest.o] Error 1
	make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kde/kdelibs-1.1.2/kdetest'
	make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
	make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kde/kdelibs-1.1.2/kdetest'
	make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

I'm guessing that the version of gcc I'm using is just more strict than the
one it's normally compiled under, so I fixed this test by inserting a cast,
and another one (kledtest) I fixed also, though at the moment, I don't
recall how. Anyhow, the tests compile fine now.

So I fired up X and tried to run one of the tests (if only I could remember
which one!). It started to display fine, and then everything locked up. I
couldn't exit X, or shut down the computer properly, to save my life. Since
then, whenever I boot X, it locks the whole computer up immediately!
Currently I'm working on telneting into the box from another machine, to see
if I can kill X without resetting the computer.

So, while that's a major nuisance, and I would really appreciate any
suggestions on how to fix it without a total reinstall of X, I wouldn't
care, except that after installing kdelibs and moving on to kdebase, I get
the following error when I run configure:

	./configure: line 4167:  1858 Segmentation fault      KDEDIR= ./conftest
2>/dev/null 1>&5
	configure: error: configure could not run a little KDE program to test the
environment.
	Since it had compiled and linked before, it must be a strange problem on
your system.
	Look at config.log for details. If you are not able to fix this, look at
	http://www.kde.org/faq/installation.html or any www.kde.org mirror.
	(If you're using an egcs version on Linux, you may update binutils!)

I've dug into this some, and apparently the program it's trying to run
prints out some strings, and afterward segfaults. What's going on here? Is
it my libraries? The compiler? I don't have a lot of hair to begin with, so
I'd appreciate any help you can offer :)

Thanks so much,

Nathaniel Talbott

<:((><
+ - -