List:       kde-user
Subject:    RE: desktop
From:       Michael Soulier <msoulier () storm ! ca>
Date:       1999-11-15 19:32:58

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Santiago Burbano wrote:

> Just a comment. A shell is STILL a UI, just that it is text based. So, if we

	I never claimed that it was not.

> say "No GUI", then, consistently, we should say "No UI at all" and go back

	And how does that logically follow no GUI? One is graphical. The
other is not. The point was whether or not to be graphical, not whether or
not to use an interface. Your below example of switches and LEDs is still
a UI, albiet a primitive one, so no UI means to not use the computer at
all. As this is obviously not what I meant, I have no idea why you brought
this up.

> to those old times of binary programming, switches and LEDs. Ouch, I think
> I'd rather use an abacus!!  ;-)
>
> Now, seriously. I wouldn't agree to have GUI as the ONLY access method to my
> computer (see Window$). Power-users need something more than
> bells-and-whistles. But, regular users just want their work done, and do not

	Exactly. One of my biggest complaints about windoze is that the
only good shell is the cygnus bash shell.

> want to mess with file permissions, pipes, filters, devices, ... And those
> people are 1) majority 2) the aim of any OS that wants to become something
> more than a nice tool for gurus. And even power-sers do simple things
> sometimes so: why writing endless command-lines when you can do it with a
> couple of mouse clicks?

	Endless? What endless? Personally, I find that the only thing I
really like graphical file manglers for is selecting lots of files with
unrelated names that would be a bitch to do on the command line with
wildcards. Other than that, the command line works for me.

> So, make the best GUI ever, let it be the primary access method, but put it
> on top (not instead) of a powerful shell. In two words: Linux/KDE.

	Well, it's my second method, but I must admit that KFM is slick.
TkDesk is also very nice, and you can install it without much trouble on
differing systems, so you can have the desktop that you're used to
everywhere.

	Mike