List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: desktop
From:       "John R. Greer" <jgreer () selway ! umt ! edu>
Date:       1999-11-15 16:26:50

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Frank Roberts wrote:

> Second these teaching methods although effective consume time and are
> flustering.  When you are talking small amounts of time, a day or two that is
> one thing, but when set up stretch into months and years it becomes
> impossible.  Note the comment elaborated on here from my original message. That
> is after a year of attempting to set up Linux I still have not discovered the
> location of or if there is a index of man pages. (I know several of you have
> sent messages implying that there is but I have not tried their suggestions
> yet.)

Frank,

I know that if you are using KDE you can use the KDE Help to look at all
of the man pages and it also provides and Index of them divided by
section.  If you right click on the desktop and choose the Execute command
line.  Then in the box type man:(index) you will be dropped right in to
it.  A method that I use when I am using man pages is to use the appropos
flag.  On my system this is used by doing a man -k statement.  You can
read about this by looking at the man page for man.  The gist of it is
that it allows you to search by the man pages somewhat.  Ex. if i enter
man -k time it dumps out a list of man pages that either have time in
their command name or in the command description.  Pretty helpful really.
Well HTH.

John Greer