List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: kmail questions - bombing out on email msgs
From:       dep <dep () snet ! net>
Date:       1999-11-05 15:41:50

On Thu, 04 Nov 1999, mike andrew wrote:
|I never suggested Kmail was a great program. In context to the original author
|I said my Kmail was rock solid. I like my programs lean and mean. If you need
|bloatware like Netscape so be it. Don't be so astonished that such a simple
|program can't make your coffee in the morning, do the dishes and retain 6
|billion emails for your viewing pleasure. As we say here, horses for courses.

i think the point here is that kmail could very much benefit from
threading (both in execution and in message organization, actually,
but i have execution in mind) and in handling of deleted and moved
messages (which could also be a threaded function, allowing something
moved or deleted to be moved or deleted right now and not at program
shutdown). the fact that it doesn't, for instance, display incoming
headers as they appear is something that other mailers do to which
many have become accustomed, and would be nice; the fact that when
it's sending or receiving messages that's it for kmail until the
transfer is done is a little annoying, and again is something that
threads would fix. until glibc-2.1, as i understand it, threads were
hard to implement, which might explain why it isn't done; whether
there is a way to provide it in future while retaining backward
compatability is unknown to me, but worth asking.

--
                2000 is a number that breaks computers.