List:       kde-user
Subject:    RE: KDE 2.0 & compilation !
From:       "Santiago Burbano" <santib () mtservicios ! com>
Date:       1999-09-20 10:52:23

> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Joachim Holst wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Terry wrote:
> > > You need to have QT2.0 or higher installed for KDE2.0..............
> > >

> > That I know and I have installed QT 2.0 or higher. Since KDE 1.1.x uses
1.4, I
> > have installed QT 2.0 in a  different directory and told the .configure
script
> > where to find these.
>
> After installing new lib's one needs to make sure the path to those
> new libs is defined in /etc/ld.so.conf and rerun ldconfig.

Having two versions of the same library simultaneously available to ld.so
can be quite problematic. What I do to avoid troubles is to install QT-1.44
(say /usr/local/qt-1.44) in one directory and QT-2.0 in another one (say
/usr/local/qt-2.00) and then sym-link /usr/local/qt to one or the other
depending on the one that is needed. This way, no changes to ld.so.conf are
needed, just use /usr/local/qt as directory for qt libraries. Then, just a
simple script to change the links as needed makes one lib or the other
available in the system.

This script can be even run in xdm conf files so you can start directly into
kde-1.1.x or kde-2.0 just choosing a session type (you ask me why I prefer
Linux to Window$... try to install windows-95 AND 98 in the same disk)

BTW: Do the same with kde dirs to have both KDE-1.1.x and KDE-2.0 running...