List:       kde-user
Subject:    Question about X (off-topic)
From:       "Santiago Burbano" <santib () mtservicios ! com>
Date:       1999-09-10 10:24:46

Hi, people

I know this is off-topic, but I don't want to subscribe to a X mailing list
just for this question.

I have recently installed Linux Debian from scratch (after erasing Suse).
Since then, I'm experiencing problems with the X server. When switching from
X to console back and forth, sometimes the server dies with error number
1536. I have XFree version 3.3.3.1 and my card is a S3 Virge DX. I am using
the standard SVGA server.

If I do not switch consoles, X is stable as a rock.

I've read about problems with the VIRGE cards when switching modes, so may
be a 'simple' upgrade of X will solve the problem, but before start messing
with an X upgrade I would like to know if somebody has experienced this
problem and how did he solve it.

TIA

Santiago

PS: Please send answers both to the list and to my personal address
(santib@mtservicios.com). I receive a couple of hundreds of messages each
day and I don't want to miss any reply.