List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Strange cut and paste behaviour
From:       Jeremy Blosser <jblosser () firinn ! org>
Date:       1999-08-30 22:30:34

Steve Vertigan [vertigan@bigfoot.com] wrote:
> I've been experimenting with GNOME and KDE and Netscape and have come to
> the conclusion that KDE is doing something very, very wrong with cut and
> paste.  Witness the following facts
>
> 1) Select text in Netscape.  Do *not* actively "copy" the text, just
> leave it and switch to a different program.  A GNOME program doesn't
> accept any paste, however a KDE one does.
>
> 2) Select text in Netscape, select "copy" or ctrl-C.  Now unselect the
> text.  This time the GNOME program does accept there is something in the
> clipboard and allows you to paste the text as you would expect, however
> the KDE one doesn't.
>
> 3) Select and copy text in GNOME program, both KDE app and Netscape will
> paste text.
>
> 4) Select and copy text in KDE program, neither Netscape or GNOME app
> can see text although other KDE apps can.
>
> The GNOME apps were run from within KDE, although I have made them work
> from GNOME.  It seems to me that KDE is not fully able to support the
> standard X cut'n'paste functions, at least as far as pasting text into a
> commonly availible buffer and the Netscape situation in (1) is just
> totally bizarre.  Could anyone shed some light on why this is and, even
> better, a way to make KDE behave a little more normally, at the moment
> my biggest need is being able to paste into Netscape after copying from
> a KDE app.

I believe I heard somewhere that Gnome was doing something special to make
"keyboard based" cut and paste (using something like alt-c to copy and
alt-v to paste) to work between Netscape and GNOME apps.  KDE doesn't do
this, though I think I also heard 2.0 has better handling for this.

Anyway, IME you can cut and paste all you want, between any apps, using
just highlighting the text with the mouse to copy and middle mouse button
to paste.  I do this between Netscape and all other apps all the time.

If that doesn't work for you, check out Klipper.

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   jblosser@firinn.org   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/