List:       kde-user
Subject:    window placement
From:       Ben Uecker <ben.uecker () jhuapl ! edu>
Date:       1999-08-30 16:28:05

This is partly a Motif question, but I think it is directly
related to KWM.

I've got a Motif application that starts with two windows
placed on the screen next to each other. The problem is
that the first window is being placed underneath the second,
ie, both windows are being placed at 0,0. In our code, window
placement is done (through uimx calls) by setting XmNx,XmNy
with XtSetValues. But it seems that KWM ignores these settings
and places the windows where it wants. I've tried setting the hints
and I've tried setting the geometry in Xdefaults. Neither worked.

This is a large application. The obscured window is an application shell and has \
dozens of widgets within it, so I don't think I want to override_redirect on it.

Any ideas on how to make that window place itself correctly?

I'm running KDE 1.1.1 under Linux 2.2.5 with XFree 3.3.3.1 and SWiM Motif.
This problem didn't appear under KDE 1.1 with the 2.0 kernel.