List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Ram usage in KDE
From:       dfox () belvdere ! vip ! best ! com
Date:       1999-07-30 15:49:18

> recently when i was surfing the net thru linux using the good old chat
> method .i switched on kcminfo to check the ppp throughput but then i noticed
> that my busy and cpu load readings were always in the higher regions.

Well, that might be an indication of a need for a faster processor.

> then i looked at the information on memory and it turns out that i have only
> 0.9 mb free on an average and the rest of it is tied up in shared memory or
> cached memory.
> anything i can do to free up some of this memory?

No, memory usage is what it should be. Free memory is wasted memory, so
anytime you have a lot in 'free' it's not good since it's not being
used.

> also does anybody know where i might find the rpm for X-ISP...coz kppp just
> doesn't work for me.. neither the terminal nor the script based
> method.........

If you have rpmfind, you can use that to find it.
If not, you can also try 'netcfg' to set up your
internet connection.

> and lastly is there anything i can do to improve my internet throughput?

dsl? :)

> Kush

David E. Fox                 Tax              Thanks for letting me
dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com   the              change magnetic patterns
root@belvedere.sbay.org      churches         on your hard disk.