List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Re[2]: Need HyperTerminal Replacement
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-06-29 16:59:44

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 cwagner@cranel.com wrote:

> I will give it a try.  I had not messed with Kvt yet.  Unfortunately, I cannot
> telnet to my arrays, it has to be a terminal connection.

Then kvt is not enough.
In Linux, often there are two separate programs, each with half of
hyperterminal's functionality.

On one hand, there is the terminal emulator, of which kvt is an example.
This program does things like interpreting vt100 codes.

On the other, there is the communications program, like cu or minicom.
This one understands things like "the modem is in /dev/cua1, dial 5551234
then transfer this text file".

To do things like configuring routers, cu is more than enough, even if
it's, shall we say, a bit on the cryptic side ;-)

Crash course in cu:

Connecting to a serial port: "cu -l devname dir"
Closing connection:    ~.
Send a text file: ~> file

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
An opinion you can't give reasons for is not an opinion worth having (I)