List:       kde-user
Subject:    Solutions for Kppp and Sound
From:       James Crouchet <crouchet () adc ! swr ! irs ! gov>
Date:       1999-06-29 16:13:40

I recently had problems with two RH5.2 installations with KDE desktops,
and by working on both I was able to find fixes for sound problems and
Kppp problems. Maybe someone else can benefit from my experience.

The problem with sound had nothing to do with KDE; it was a problem with
the sound setup for the system. Normally, one would just run sndconfig
and that would be fixed. Unfortunately, every time I ran sndconfig it
would give me an error telling me it could not access /dev/audio. Worse,
it moved the file conf.modules to conf.modules.bak and did not write a
new conf.modules file! Next time I booted I lost SCSI and NIC support as
those modules were profiled in conf.modules.

I spent a couple days trying to figure out why the NIC and SCSI were
failing before I found the answer. I fixed it by moving conf.modules.bak
to conf.modules and my system booted up with NIC and SCSI working again,
but still no sound.

The real problem was that I was using an old copy of sndconfig. I try to
keep my RH system up to date by downloading and upgrading RPMs as RedHat
puts out updates, but they do not put the sndconfig files in with the
other updates. I finally located them at
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/sound/sndconfig/. Be sure to upgrade at least
to awesfx-0.4.2-3, isapnptools-1.17-0.1 and sndconfig-0.27-3. Read the
README before you download as they also keep unstable versions of
sndconfig in that directory. Also, if you have not upgraded your kernel
to 2.0.36-3 or later you may have problems, so do that upgrade too (I
had already upgraded my kernel).

I tried sndconfig again and all went just like it should, setting up my
sound cards. Next I started the KDE Control Center, went into the sound
area, turned on system sounds and chose sounds for various events. Next
I logged out and re-started KDE. Now sound works fine.

Kppp
----

I also had a big problem with Kppp. I could connect to my ISP through
pppd, but not Kppp. I tried adding a delay. I tried using a terminal
window. I set up PAP and even tried CHAP. I changed the CR/LF to CR and
then to LF. No good. Kppp would work just fine until it transferred
control to pppd, then it would hang until pppd timed out with a message
something like "pppd daemon died unexpectedly". I experimented for days
and tried all the solutions I saw posted on the KDE list with no
improvement until I woke up one morning with the solution.

I had set up pppd to connect to my ISP before I started working with
Kppp, and it did that just fine so long as I did not try to go through
Kppp. So I went into pppd and DELETED the profile I had set up. Then I
tried Kppp again and *presto*, it worked fine. I guess the settings in
pppd interfered with the information sent by Kppp.

I hope someone finds this information useful.

James Crouchet