List:       kde-user
Subject:    KDE not the culprit
From:       warren11 <warren11 () home ! com>
Date:       1999-06-28 21:17:48

A few months ago I installed KDE 1.1. This is using RedHat V5.2 w/32meg
mem.
All was well for quite awhile.  Once in a while I would loose the color
settings system wide.  It seemed to happen when I called up netscape.
Only way I could fix it was to reboot the whole system.
When it happened without netscape running I started to delete kvt windows
I had running.  I had suspicions that it may be a swap memory problem but
when it happened when I ran wfvm2 and xterms I looked into the
possibility it might be hardware, namely the video card.
It is a Trident TGUI9440AGi for PCI bus.  It has 2 meg memory.
I had read that Trident cards were bad news but mine had worked well for
over 2 years.
On a whim, I shut it all down, removed the cover and pulled the Trident
card.  cleaned off the contacts and pressed the mem chips down.  After
reinstalling it All my color problems were gone !!!

My advice; software is not always the problem when having odd troubles.

Warren

             * |     Warren Hrach, San Diego, CA 92107       | *
             * | warren11@home.com Linux & BBBS on an AMD K5 | *
             * |          BBS at (619}224-4878               | *