List:       kde-user
Subject:    re: kppp
From:       Doug McGarrett <dougmack () spacelab ! net>
Date:       1999-05-28 22:22:53

Quoted text:

From: bluraid <stgraham@istar.ca>

I have a USR to and it works ...but I had a few minor problems with it
also..
just out of curiousity why ttyS3?
any modems I have setup have always defaulted to ttyS1---COM2 which is
normal.
you can try this command at root  setserial /dev/ttyS1 autoconfig
this will give you a setup of  COM2 IRQ 3 then change your modem
settings in kppp or whatever you are using to connect.....hopefully it
will work

jgiang_at_hyb__milf@cliff.hybridon.com wrote:

>      I have us robotics pnp internal fax 56k modem, i ran isapnp and set it
>      at port 0x2e8 and irq 3, everything setup right but when I use
>      control-panel to set it at ttyS3 which is com4, //snip
                                                 ^^^^
Quoted text off.

Some video cards use some of the resources of com 4, so it may be impossible
to configure a com 4 if you have such a video card.  And there are many of
them, but I don't know which, altho I know that the ATI Mach... cards were
among the guilty ones.  Best to use com 3, and an IRQ different from com 1,
or just use com 2, as was suggested, but if you do, make sure that any com 2
port in the system (other than the modem) is turned off, in the BIOS or on
the card.

For some reason, modems are a bitch!  I'm trying right now to solve a modem
problem in Win95, but I'm down to reformatting and reinstalling, I'm afraid.
(Anyone who considers him/herself an expert on Win95 modem problems, please
send me email, quick!)