List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: KDE 1.1.1 and Redhat 6 Installation
From:       "Robert A. Wade" <wader () iserv ! net>
Date:       1999-05-15 13:51:44

> I'm tring to install KDE 1.1.1 on my new Redhat 6 system.  I didn't
install the >KDE that came with Redhat. I wanted to use the regular KDE
distribution. >Anyways, here the problem.  I uncompressed the install rpm
and ran it.  It came >back with an error stating that 1.1.1 would not work
with Redhat 6 only up to >5.2 .  How do I install 1.1.1 on Redhat 6?
Thanks!!

Well,  I initially installed both KDE 1.1.1pre-2 & gnome with XDM as the
login manager.  This leaves RH aware of kde.  Note that RH is trying to get
back to some "standards" regarding file location on a linux distribution, so
their pre 1.1.1 KDE release distributes files quite differently than the
kde.org "standard" of /opt/kde.

I next methodically hunted down the kde rpm's with gnorpm (kpackage will not
work with the new 3.0x RH package manager distributed with RH60) and
uninstalled all of them.  After recreating symbolic links to /opt, I
installed (-Uvh) all the RH1.1.1 52 kde RPM's.  Presto! KDE 1.1.1 worked.

To make KDE your default GUI with XDM , edit /etc/X11/xinit & move the call
to KDE above gnome.  I haven't gotten around to switching to KDM yet.

That said, on my other PC I used the default RH 1.1.1 pre2 RPMs because they
have other nifty programs right in the distribution, like kpilot, etc.  I am
awaiting their official release of KDE 1.1.1.

Hope this helps,
Robert