List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Evaluating KOffice
From:       "David E. Fox" <dfox () belvdere ! vip ! best ! com>
Date:       1999-05-01 21:46:57

>     Technically, this doesn't belong on this mail list, but I'm
> already subscribed to quite a few and trying to avoid another, so
> here goes an off-topic posting:  KDE 1.1 is working fine and I

Well, you just might have to scrub it. You could upgrade to
1.1.1pre1 or 1.1.1 (soon), though. But 1.1.pre1 still uses the
1.42 version of Qt, and the libs that Koffice needs are based on
qt-2.00; subsequently, new kdelibs are what you need, at least
in part.

I haven't looked at 1.1.1 so I am not really sure where it is
in relationship to the current cvs stuff. I'm currently in the
process of reconstructing kde from the latest cvs snapshots so
that (in part) I can see koffice. The real issue here is that
I haven't seen koffice since about late February, and if you
check the snapshots you'll find that an older version exists for
qt-1.42, but that's dated 3/2, and won't compile.

> don't want to scrub it (I *REALLY HATE* re-constructing my system
> at the drop of a hat !), so I thought I'd d/l the KOffice suite
> and install it under it's own evaluation user acct and preserve

I think that's possible. I thought about doing something along these
lines, but I don't have enough disk space for that. I could of course
back up the 1.1 version of kde and revert to that in case of
trouble. In fact right now I wish I had done that because in
order to save some needed disk space, I wiped out the 2.0 versions
of the kdelibs and kept the 3.0. For a while, at least part of
kde worked, but right now things seem to be in flux, since I'm getting
undefined references to various QWidget things when compiling
kdebase.

If 1.1.1 is based on qt-2.0 (unlike 1.1.1pre1) then you'd probably
be safe to wait until 1.1.1 comes out and upgrade your kde from there,
and then (re)try koffice. Also, if you just want to check out
koffice, you probably don't need to upgrade KDE _in toto_; just
kdesupport/kdelibs and maybe kdebase should suffice.

But since each process can have its own idea of system libraries and
so forth, what you propose is possible (at least under Linux, and
presumably most Unices). What you probably want to do is to stick
the qt-2.0 libraries in a special place, and then stick kdesupport/
kdelibs underneath something like /opt/kde2. Create your special
user, and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point it to the kde2 libraries
(/opt/kde2/lib) rather than the existing kde libraries (/opt/kde/lib),
and you should be well on your way to being able to try the
latest koffice snapshots.

Also, if you don't have them already, you'll need mico-2.2.3 and
python (>=1.5). Corba used to be a separate necessary component, but
it's now part of kdelibs.

>     My question has to do w/ the fact that I'm still not up to
> speed on development issues under Linux and why things like KOffice

Actually everything should be *installed* as root; but that doesn't
mean you *run* it as root.

> ==========    From the Desk of Jethro Wright, III    ===========
> +            Indecision is the key to flexibility.             +

David E. Fox                 Tax              Thanks for letting me
dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com   the              change magnetic patterns
root@belvedere.sbay.org      churches         on your hard disk.