List:       kde-user
Subject:    KSCD and Solaris volume manager
From:       David Young <david.young () fnc ! fujitsu ! com>
Date:       1999-04-29 20:07:05

Greetings. I'm running KDE 1.1 on Solaris 2.6 (pre-compiled binaries
packaged by PatriotSoft), and am having trouble with KSCD when
changing CDs.

With KSCD running (CD in drive), if I eject the CD (via KSCD's 'eject'
button, of course) and replace it with a different title, KSCD
correctly contacts the CDDB and displays the title
information. However, if I then press the 'play' button I get a dialog
box from the Solaris Removable Media Manager indicating that

  "User dey (David Young) has requested that a cdrom volume named
  unnamed_cdrom#1 be loaded into a drive. Please insert the requested
  volume and press OK..."

Pressing OK, however, yields an error message claiming the cdrom
volume can't be found. Pressing CANCEL returns control to KSCD, but
the application refuses to play the CD, responding with a blinking
"Ready". I must restart KSCD for it to recognize the new CD.

Clearly this behavior results from some type of odd interaction with
the volume manager; does anyone know of a solution? I've tried
building KSCD from source, to no avail. Thanks much.

Regards,

David E. Young
Fujitsu Network Communications  "The fact that ... we still
(david.young@fnc.fujitsu.com)    live well cannot ease the pain of
                                 feeling that we no longer live nobly."
                                  -- John Updike
"Programming should be fun,