List:       kde-user
Subject:    HELP!: Intellimouse locks desktop
From:       inaninck () solair1 ! inter ! nl ! net
Date:       1999-03-31 21:04:10

Hello All,

Today I bought a MicroSoft IntelliMouse 1.1A PS/2 Compatible mouse.
However, after changing everything I think needs to be changed,
my desktop locks. Let me explain 'locks': the X-server (XFree-3.3.3.1)
starts, but the mouse-pointer doesn't react and my keyboard is
completeley locked. The only way to get access to the box again is
through a telnet-session from another machine and kill the Window-manager,
which is 'kwm', as in KDE-1.1

I did the following:
- enabled BIOS-checking of the PS/2 port in the PC
- recompiled my 2.0.36 kernel to have PS/2 mouse support
- changed XF86Config as it reads on http://www.xfree.org/3.3.3.1/mouse26.html
  (tried several combinations of the configuration)

dmesg says
        PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed

These are the devices I tried:
~> ls -l /dev/ps*
crw-r--r--   1 root     root      10,   1 Jul 18  1994 /dev/psaux
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      10,   1 Mar 31 21:52 /dev/psmouse
~>
I also tried chmodding them to 777, no luck.

According to the manual of my motherboard, IRQ-12 is reserved for PS/2.
I do NOT have other devices that use IRQ-12.

Can somebody give me a hint on what is wrong here?

Thanks for your time!
---
Bipolar, adj.:
        Refers to someone who has homes in Nome, Alaska, and Buffalo,
New York

Best regards, don't let the bits byte!
Ivo Naninck
~