List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: What are the kmix icons?
From:       Moritz Kaiser <ariser () fs ! tum ! de>
Date:       1999-03-29 18:02:31

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Philip Lehman wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
> >Also, the helpfile refers to the "current record source".  What is meant
> >by that?  I'm puzzled since it would seem that kmix can receive inputs
> >>from several sources at once.
>
> No, I don't think it can take more than one source at a time.

Hi Philip, hi Paul,

this only depends on your sound card. Because kmix and equivalent
frontends under X or even Win aren't real mixers. These programs only
provide control over a mixer chip located on your sound card. If it is a
good one, like on a modern terratec or creative sound card, it will be
able to "mix" more than one record source and to digitize it. Your
software, i.e. kmix, only is displaying volumes and seting parameters of
that famous mixer chip. Same thing for the simultaneous output of CD, WAVE
and FM sound. The best solution for understanding the capabilities of
soft- and hardware ist to try it out!

By the way, most of those mixer chips aren't working with the digitized
data, but using analog circuitry for this task.

Best regards,

Moritz Kaiser

Moritz Kaiser
Studentische Vertretung, Technische Universitaet Muenchen
Europe / Germany

| Ich denk' ueberhaupt nicht an den Tod, |
| aber der Tod denkt staendig an mich.   |
| T. Bernhard                            |