List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Installing KDE on a small hard drive
From:       Gregor Kompara <gregor.kompara () kiss ! uni-lj ! si>
Date:       1999-01-31 21:07:50

"David E. Fox" wrote:

> > I don't think this is a very good idea. Linux, of course, runs well on
> > 486s but X-Windows you need to run KDE don't. You have to know that KDE,
> > while it is IMO the best window manager, is also the most memory- and
> > disk-space-consuming. It would take an eternity to boot such a computer
>
> Well, adding more memory would help.

sure, as would buying a new processor, a bigger hard disk and a better
video card... but that's not what we're discussing.

there's no doubt that KDE is, as i already mentioned, by far the most
memory and disk space consuming desktop environment (ok, i won't use the
term window manager, but most people that use KDE also use kwm as their
wm) there is. so why use it on such a weak system? there are plenty of
others that would do the job just as well and take up much less disk
space and memory. you have to sacrifice some beauty for much better
performance in such a case, IMO.
KDE is a great looking desktop environment (i love it), but it's simply
not suitable for weak systems. there are much better options and it's
not fair to recommend it to someone just because we're on this list and
we all like it. we'd do a much better job explaining what possibilities
there are and which is the most appropriate one.
--
Grega

http://www.kiss.uni-lj.si/~k4mf0026/index.html