List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: virus
From:       Joachim Holst <joachimh () kajen ! com>
Date:       1999-01-31 19:52:55

On sön, 31 jan 1999, Martin "Skjöldebrand" wrote:
>On Mon, 01 Feb 1999, Bob Schmidt wrote:
>=>Hi All,
>=>
>=>As a fairly new guy to linux and kde I was just wondering about viruses.  Is
>=>there a virus checking program for linux or kde, do we even have to worry about
>=>it.
>
>Not that I'm aware of and not really.
>
>Due to the nature of Linux it is hard to write a _virus_ as a virus usually
>should need superuser rights to run. And a user usually doesn't run Linux with
>those rights. That said, I recently heard of two virae for Linux out there -
>but they seem rather rare (thankfully). Trojan Horses are another problem (apps
>that does other things than they say they do.) The community had a problem with
>it recently when ftp.win.tue.nl had a trojan version of util-linux-2.9g. It was
>removed within hours.

I know that McAfee has/had a virus checking program for Linux. But, the only
thing it did was to check MS-DOS / VFAT disks for any dos/win viruses.

I used it for a while to check my almost unused windows partition for viruses.
You can check at http://www.mcafee.com to see if it's still there.

--

/Jocke

ICQ uin: 3939304