List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Netscape
From:       dep <dep () westnet ! com>
Date:       1998-12-31 3:59:21

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Chris Lynch wrote:

|My Netscape only crashes when I goto a site that has "weird" java...
|http://www.tampabayonline.net/bolts  will crash Netscape in a few
|seconds...it simply freezes on my screen...you can't kill it so I have to
|log out of kde and login as someone else then log back in as myself
|(sometimes it doesn't work) because when I restart netscape is locked and I
|don't want to delete that Lock file...hey, I'm a newbie and I'm desperately
|trying NOT to destroy my FreeBSD box.
|Other than thatm the only other problem I've had was with kmail and I've
|been informed that my version has a bug.

it is certainly a troublesome thing, apparently java related. if, when
it locks, you hit alt-ctrl-esc, you'll get the skull & crossbones mouse
pointer which, if clicked on the netscape window, will kill it --
partially. if you run top, you'll find a hunk of it still running,
which you can nuke with kill -9 followed by the pid number at the
commandline. it is safe then to nuke the lock file in /.netscape. you
can do it before, and even restart netscape, but you'll end up with a
second batch of netscape artifacts sucking up your memory. this with
4.0x and 4.5.
--
                                    the world would be a better place