List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: PPP Question
From:       Jon Svejgaard <jon () ace ! dk>
Date:       1998-09-29 22:18:40

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Ralf Spachmann wrote:

> Hi All !
>
> The Kppp works fine at my system.
>
> BUT : I need to remote access my system from a Notebook, running (joke)
> Windoze95 / remote access via PPP-settings.
>
> Short hints how to setup my Linux-System´s mgetty or/and pppd for incoming PPP
> connections ?

I've had success with the following scenario:
- create an entry in /etc/passwd
	nppp:x:204:50:PPP Login:/home/nppp:/usr/sbin/pppd
- assign a password to the account
- setup getty/mgetty to listen to the modem line
- set the win95 dialup networking to 'Open terminal window on connect'
  (that's in dial options) then log in manually when the linux login:
  prompt appears, and hit F7 when ppp garbage appears in the terminal
  window.
This should enable you to use all TCP/IP stuff, i.e. telnet, ftp etc.
If you have samba running on the Linux box and want to use the microsoft
network client there is one very wierd thing you have to do: define the
Linux box as your name server even if it isn't. I've experienced that
Windows refuses to connect to networking resources if this parameter is
not set, even if there is no DNS on the network. Strange, but there it is.

Hope it works out,
Jon Svejgaard                           | ACE - Member of solutions!group
mail: jon@ace.dk                        | DENMARK
http://www.ace.dk                       | +45 4828 0799 - +45 4052 0799