List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Configuring KDM, X-window and shutdown (was Re: KDM shutdown)
From:       Chris Sechiatano <chris_sechiatano () rocketmail ! com>
Date:       1998-08-31 23:23:13

Ok, that works for shutting down from the console, but how would one
go about shutting it down or restarting it from Exceed, where the
shutdown button is normally not available?

===

Chris
chris_sechiatano@rocketmail.com

Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo.
-- Fletch

---Jon Svejgaard <jon@ace.dk> wrote:

> [...]
> </QUOTE>
>
> <LECTURE>
>
> * The purpose of kdm (and xdm) is to present you with a login prompt
in a
> GUI so that nothing else is needed to get into X-window and your
window
> manager, be it kwm, fvwm, twm or whatever. This is what you normally
want
> to do, so the authors of kdm thoughtfully have provided a shutdown
button
> that enables you to shut down the system completely if you do not
want to
> leave the computer on.
>
> Kdm should be started when the system is brought to a special
run-level
> as defined in /etc/inittab - this runlevel is normally defined in
most
> Linux variants: on Slackware, it's level 4, on SuSE it's level 3,
and on
> RedHat, it's level 5, I believe - and that runlevel should be the
default
> one.
>
> * Startx is for the casual user - he who normally works in normal
non-GUI
> mode, entering commands at the command prompt. If he wants to switch
> the GUI, startx is the command to use. Once finished, he clicks the
> logout button on the Panel and is brought back to the command line.
>
> * The purpose of shutdown is to bring the system to a halt - but
shutdown
> has some side effects. 'Shutdown now' enters runlevel 1 which is not
very
> nice for Slackware (I don't know about the other flavors) - if you
want
> to *really* shut down the system you should use 'shutdown -h now',
or halt.
> Another way would be 'init 0' which is exactly what the two former
> commands bog down to, if you look closely.
>
> BTW, shutdown should be allowed to be done by root only. 'Ordinary'
users
> (even if that is yourself) should not be allowed to do so. Root is
for
> administering the system, users are for using the system.
>
> * Swap space is used for safekeeping parts of memory not in use
right now
> if you are running so many programs that your physical memory is not
> enough. This means that your swap space should be at least as large
as
> your physical memory and preferably 1.5 -2 that size.
> If you want to do something memory intensive, just go ahead and do
it,
> provided your swap space is sufficient, as the inactive programs and
> their associated buffers etc. are placed on swap for the duration. No
> need to stop programs for that.
>
> If you want to have all this work neatly, this is what you must do:
>
> 1. Insure that /etc/inittab has entries for a runlevel which starts
KDM.
>    A call to /opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon should do the trick.
>    This runlevel should also have a few non-graphical getty processes
>    running. I'll come back to why later.
> 2. Insure that /etc/inittab has entries for a multi-user runlevel
which
>    does *not* run the GUI login.
> 3. Set the default runlevel to the GUI runlevel. This is done by
setting the
>    run level number on the line in /etc/inittab containing the word
>    'initdefault' to the level number of your GUI runlevel.
> 4. Have X run your preferred window manager (KWM) when you log in
through
>    KDM. This is done by editing the config files in /usr/lib/X11.
There
>    are a number of ways to do it, but a simple one is to have a
>    /usr/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc which calls startkde. If you *never*
will
>    use startx, you can get rid of all .xsession/.xinitrc/.whatever
files in
>    users' home directories.
> 5. If you do not want the GUI running any more for some reason,
switch to a
>    non-graphical console by pressing Ctl-Alt-Fx, x being the number
of
>    the screen where the non-GUI login runs (hence the gettys I
mentioned
>    above), log in as root and enter 'init x', x being the runlevel
for
>    normal multi-user mode without KDM.
> 6. If you want to shut down the system, log out from the K desktop,
and
>    when KDM re-appears, click the shutdown button. This should bring
the
>    system down and halt it so that power may be switched off.
>    OR bring the system to multi-user mode (item 5 above), then issue
>    'shutdown -h now'/'halt'/'init 0'
>
> </LECTURE>
>
> I hope my ramblings above may be of some use. If anybody wants
details,
> do ask.
>
> Brgs

> Jon Svejgaard                           | ACE - Member of
solutions!group