List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: KDM shutdown
From:       Juergen Rothberger <Juergen.Rothberger () net-con ! net>
Date:       1998-08-31 7:06:19

Hi David,

>>That's one reason why I don't use xdm/kdm here. I boot to the command
line, then login and startx from there. That way, if as you suggest I
need to compile things that eat up large RAM amounts I can get out
of X entirely, and run the compile from the command line.<<
Ok, that's the way I'm doing it now, too. But it's not the way I'm
thinking of for our users here in company - people who haven't seen
something exotic like a command line in lifetime. For those guys I would
like to set up the graphical login without any opportunity to get lost
on command line (next question would be: is there anything to prevent
them using CTRL+ALT+F...?). But system admin should have the chance to
login as root and then logout ending only KDE and X-server.

I've got a lot of answers on that topic. Most people here suggested to
use an *init* or *telinit* command. It doesn't work with my
configuration, but it should as it seems. So I guess, something's wrong
here. Maybe with one of the scripts in my init.b folder. I really like
this poking around in script files... :-(

CU
- Juergen