List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Real 3D Video Card on X11
From:       Steffen Hansen <stefh () mip ! ou ! dk>
Date:       1998-08-30 19:39:35

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Uninet Communications Co. wrote:

> Hi,
>  I was wondering if anyone has been able to run X11/KDE on a Real 3D Star
> Fighter 8 meg video card? I'm planning on buying a new computer which has
> that card included, but I can't find any XFree86 drivers for it (And I'd be
> lost without KDE). Thanks...

I'm pretty sure the Starfighter has in i740 graphics chip, which is not
supported by XFree86. From the XF86 FAQ:

Q.F27- Is a server for the Intel i740 chipset available?
No. XFree86 is still trying to get documentation from Intel for this chip
under conditions which would allow us to release the driver. There is no
projected timeframe for such a driver, but since development hasn't
started yet, it will be a long time before this changes.

So i think you should go for another brand of video card. The new Matrox
G200 based cards are looking good and are pretty cheap too. A few days ago
an X server with support for G200 was announced, so at they are working on
G200 support. Personally i'll wait for the RivaTNT and see if it's worth
it, and then choose either G200 or TNT.

This is getting off topic now -- sorry,