List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: KDE on Redhat 5.0
From:       "Casey Bralla" <Vorlon () pdn ! net>
Date:       1998-08-30 18:55:51

Do you have a Pentium processor?  I think the gcc compiler
is optimized for pentium, which may make it bomb for
non-pentiums (?).  I have been able to install KDE this
weekend with only minor problems.

I found the files by looking at the www.kde.org web site.
It included the kdebase file you were unable to find.  I
suspect you've mixed up some binary distributions somehow.

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998 17:30:33 +0200, Frans de Wet wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Can some of you guru's please give me a helpful hint or two concerning the \
> installing of KDE on Redhat 5.0.  I just need someone to tell me where to find the \
> files I need for the install process ... I think I might be mixing gcc2.7.2.3. and \
> egcs files which causes nothing to work ... everything installs but it can't start \
> up moaning about some symbols (I think from Qt libraries) it can't find.
> My scenario is as follows ... I have installed the files listed in
> ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/1.0/contrib/distribution/rpm/RedHat-5.0/i386/binary/gcc2723 \
> since I could not find a kdebase file in the egcs directory.  I followed the readme \
> file they have in this directory to the letter installing Qt for RH5.1 and all ... \
> just like they say ... but, boohoo ... not working :-(  So ... if anyone can give \
> me some pointers as to how on earth to get it going or where the egcs kdebase file \
> is I would appreciate it :-)
> Frans

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
NerdWorld.net
(A Vorlon Information Technologies Company)