List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: sessions
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1998-08-19 22:00:11

> ctrl-alt-f7 or crl-alt-f8
>
> The deal is that when you launch x from console window 1, it puts
> it in console window 7 or 8.  (The exact number depends on your
> setup.)

Kinda.  Each "virtual" console is assigned a tty.  The X session is
assigned a console that is one more than the number of tty's running.
I believe all (or at least most) standard distros have 6 tty's starting
in init.d.  This is why ALT-F7 selects the X session -- its one more
than the number of tty's.  I have only two tty's, so I need to use
ALT-F3 to get back to X.

'Course, if you knew enough to figure out how to "disable" the "extra"
tty's, you probably knew all this anyway...
--
Kurt Granroth
granroth@kde.org