List:       kde-user
Subject:    UPDATE: Icon causes grief -- X-Server crashes
From:       Rob <drifter () stratos ! net>
Date:       1998-07-31 21:58:59

	Hi again,

	A couple of days ago I posted a message about a strange problem
with a Desktop icon I was using (See "Icon causes grief -- X-Server
crashes", Thu., July 30).  Whenever I right-clicked or left-clicked on
this icon, KDE would immediately crash.  I had no such problems with the
other icons, and extensive experimentation seemed to indicate that the
problem was with the icon's name, though I wasn't sure exactly what.
	I think I know now.  The icon, "Walnut Creek" (a FTP URL pointer),
had the widest length of all of the other icons.  I noticed that it almost
ran into the control panel on the left side of my screen.
	I also noticed that when you select an icon, it gets highlighted in
blue, making the icon slightly thicker.  I think the problem is that when I
selected "Walnut Creek," the title was highlighted in blue, with the left
edge /running into/ the panel.  That is what seemed to have crashed KDE.
The other icons did not run into the kpanel when they were highlighted and
did not crash.
	Furthermore, when I clicked the "Hide" button on top of the panel,
all of a sudden I could select "Walnut Creek" without the whole X-server
going down.  If the icon is on the left edge of the /screen/ (with the
panel retracted), and you select it so that the blue highlight runs off the
left edge, there is no problem.
	So, has any developer noticed this as a problem?  Has it been
fixed, yet?  Just wondering.
	Oh, yeah, The problem could be temporarily solved if I could
simply:
	1) hide the panel
	2) move the troubled icon over to the right of the screen, and
	3) restore the panel.

	The problem is, when I exit and later log back in, all of the icons
are in the same old ordered position on the left edge of the screen.  Does
anybody know how to get KDE to remember where the icons were before
logging off?

	-Rob

--
drifter@stratos.nospam.net (remove nospam to send)
	"Am I the only one that cringes every time I hear somebody refer