List:       kde-user
Subject:    Programming for KDE
From:       Steve Vertigan <vertigan () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       1998-07-31 11:13:03

I'd like to try writing a KDE application and am wondering if someone would
be so kind as to give me a *very* brief introduction.  I have a reasonable
amount of generic programming experience in Perl and Pascal and have
flirted with OO User interfaces using Turbo Vision in Turbo Pascal.
Unfortuneatly I'm completely clueless with writing/compiling C although I'm
hoping that my experience with Turbo Vision in DOS will allow me to jump
straight to using KDE functions without going through the "Hello World"
drudgery in C once I've got the basic concept.

A thorough scan of developer.kde.org has yielded me no joy as the FAQ/SDK
and Kbuilder links are all broken or not implemented yet.  The tutorial at
http://developer.kde.org/kde-tutorial.html assumes prior C knowledge and
also refers to source code being availible at www.kde.org but I can't find
it.  So basically I'm asking for someone to walk me through the steps
involved in getting the tutorial program at kde-tutorial.html to compile
and run.  The things I'd like to know are...

1) Do I need any extra libraries or files to create a kde program?
2) What directories would they be in? (Redhat 5.1)
3) What should I name the demo program and which directory should I save it
in?
4) What invocation do I use to compile it.

I'd appreciate answers to these plus any general tips or URLs that would
help me get started.

Thanks,
--Steve