List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: http://www.kde.org/food/saint.html
From:       Bernd Johannes Wuebben <wuebben () math ! cornell ! edu>
Date:       1998-07-17 20:45:38

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Martin Konold wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Bernd Johannes Wuebben wrote:
>
> > > (I personally consider patents on algorithms to be bad....)
> >
> > But they are a necessary evil. Without them as I explained so many times
>
> Well, in Germany and other European Countries you cannot patent algorithms

Maybe you can't patent algrothims in Germany -- who knows -- I readily admit
not to be a lawyer. But as long as I don't need to make the source code of of
my programs available ( as RMS want everyon to ) I can keep the algorithm
from being discoverd by others for some time, making it possible to recoup my
research investement ...

> or discoveries. I do think that these non U.S. economies are  still  not
>  doing bad.

That's a personal opinion. I have one too. At this point Germany has
an unemployment rate of 11%. Ask any one of those 11% how they feel...

The unemployment rate in the US is currently, what 3.5% ? That's even lower
than the theoretically possible lowest unemployment rate from a point of view
of economic theory.

But we shoudn't talk about this ...

Again, I don't want anything bad for KDE. I will think about what I have
posted and may take it down again.... Of course if there is a majority here
who wants me to take it down now I will take it down immediately.
I am here to serve KDE not myself ...

Bernd