List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: mimetypes
From:       David Jeffers <jeffers () redrose ! net>
Date:       1998-07-01 0:22:03

duff writes:
 > how can i configure my mimetypes so that when i click on a file with a certain
 > extension, it is opened in a certain application?  what i want to do is have
 > cpp, hpp files be opened automatically in XEmacs.  i found the mimetype for c++
 > source and header files in $KDEDIR/share/mimelnk/text, but couldn't figure out
 > how to add XEmacs to the list of applications that can be chosen as the default
 > application under Properties->Bindings.  anyone know how to do this?
 >
 > thanks in advance.

Edit the text mimelink 'x-c++src.kdelnk' (or whatever file is necessary) like so:

# KDE Config File
[KDE Desktop Entry]
Comment[C]=C++ sources
Comment[fi]=C++ lähdekoodi
Comment[fr]=Source C++
MimeType=text/x-c++src
Comment=C++ sources
DefaultApp=XEmacs
Comment[nl]=C++ bronbestand
Comment[pl]=¬ród³o C++
Icon=c_src.xpm
Type=MimeType
Comment[it]=Sorgenti C++
Patterns=*.cpp;*.cxx;*.cc;*.C;
Comment[de]=C++ Quelldatei

"DefaultApp=XEmacs" is what you want. Do this as root for a system-wide change
or add the file to your $HOME/.kde/share/mimelink/text/  for local.

The other method using the "Properties" menu (right button click on the kdelnk file)
would be possible except that under "Default" -the 'X Emacs' line is
incorrect. The correct spelling is 'XEmacs' (no space.)