List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: HELP! KFM in super user mode
From:       Ivo Naninck <inaninck () solair1 ! inter ! nl ! net>
Date:       1998-06-29 22:27:11

Bruce,

>> First I have put #!/bin/sh in kfmsu2 on the first line -> no good.
>> Then I also put it on the first line of kfmsu -> no good.
>> I'm stuck...
>
> Ok next tack, let's try changing your shell to /bin/sh, you can do this
> with the control-panel, or editing your /etc/passwd file. This will change
> the shell you are used to, but this may have to be done for debugging
> purposes. Also when you said you added the line #!/bin/sh to the kfm and
> kfmsu files, did you do it to both of them so that the line was in both
> files at the same time or just one at a time?

First I put it in kfmsu2, the one which actually does the trick. Well, is
supposed to do the trick :-(
Then, with the line still in kfmsu2 I did put it in the kfmsu,
which, in it turn, runs the kfmsu2.

Changing the shell in /etc/passwd to /bin/sh would NOT help, I think, because:
# ls -l /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            4 Oct  6  1996 /bin/sh -> bash
#

Besides that:

/home/inaninck> sh
sh-2.00$ FOO=rubbish; export FOO
sh-2.00$ env | grep FOO
FOO=rubbish
sh-2.00$

It seems to work in bash, as /bin/sh is a link to /bin/bash
And my default shell is bash, so what would actually do the line #!/bin/sh?
It just starts another occurance of bash.....
The test above was done when logged in as myself (inaninck) and then
started a new sh. My login uses:
inaninck:mypasswd:501:100:Ivo Naninck:/home/inaninck:/bin/bash

And user kde behaves the same, I guess/hope:
kde:kdepasswd:508:100:KDEsktop:/home/kde:/bin/bash

> Hope this helps and gives us more information to work with. I am still
> convinced it is a shell problem. The kfm file has the offending line in
> it. It should probably test to see what shell it is being used before
> executing and then do the right thing based on the shell the user is using.

As far as I can see, there is no difference between myself and the user 'kde',
concerning the shell.

Changing to csh (which is root's shell) gives:

/home/inaninck> csh
> set FOO=3; export FOO
export: Command not found.

So that's not an alternative....

Still stuck... :-((

> Cheers,
>
> Bruce...
>
> ----------------------------------
> E-Mail: Bruce J. Carter <bjcarter@gte.net>
> Date: 28-Jun-98
> Time: 15:24:54
>
> This message was sent by XFMail

---
Catsup and Mustard all over the place!  It's the Human Hamburger!

Best regards, and don't let the bits byte!
Ivo Naninck.
~
~
:wq!